Having browsed through some recipes I came across one for how to make your own curry pastes by Jamie Oliver Here.
It looked relatively simple but I noticed that I was missing bits of ingredients from each type of curry paste. I decided I would use the recipes as a base and mix some of the ingredients together. I decided to use the Rogan Josh paste recipe as my base. (I will add in the substitutions I made below).
Rogan josh paste
2 cloves of garlic / a thumb-sized piece of fresh root ginger / 75g roasted peppers, from a jar / 1 tablespoon paprika / 1 teaspoon smoked paprika / 2 teaspoons garam masala / 1 teaspoon turmeric / ½ teaspoon sea salt / 2 tablespoons groundnut oil (I added some fry light instead)l / 2 tablespoons tomato purée / 1 fresh red chilli / a small bunch of fresh coriander
Spices for toasting 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (I had no cumin seeds so put in already ground cumin and some Nigella seeds) / 2 teaspoons coriander seeds / (I only had black mustard seeds so used this instead)1 teaspoon black peppercorns.To make any of the above curry pastes
First peel the garlic and ginger • Put a frying pan on a medium to high heat and add the spices for toasting to the dry pan • Lightly toast them for a few minutes until golden brown and smelling delicious, then remove the pan from the heat • Add the toasted spices to a pestle and mortar and grind until fine, or put them into a food processor and whiz to a powder • Either way, when you’ve ground them whiz the toasted spices in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients until you have a smooth paste
To be honest from then I kind of made it up. Here is what I did:
1. Chopped x2 white onions into small cubes or whizz up in a blender
2. Add some fry light to a pan and brown of the onions slowly for 15 minutes.
3. add in some more fresh garlic and ginger and some chilli if you wish.
4. Chop x 3 medium sized tomatoes
5. Add them to the pan with the onions, and fresh garlic/ginger
6. Let them soften down for a few minutes.
7. Add some chopped skinless, boneless chicken thighs into the pan with the curry paste stir all through allow to brown.
8. Finally add a small carton of chopped tomatoes. x1 chicken gel stock cube and add a little water.
9. I also added in some cubed sweet potato for extra veggie goodness.10. Leave to simmer for 20 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked
My mixed up random recipe for what turned out to be:
Chicken and Sweet Potato Rogan josh curry.